Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Old Bird


I found this the other day when I was going through some old CDs of pictures. I was so glad that I found it. I had taken this picture a few years ago of my Nana. She passed away on May 1st, 2008. I was with her in the hospital when she passed. Her last few years were not very good, she had started not acting like herself and had lost the spark that she always had. One of the reasons why this picture means so much to me is because it is my Nana just how I remember her. You can see the spark in her eyes, her typically folded hands, the pink lipstick that she always wore and her watch on her left hand with the face on the inside of her arm.

When I worked as a server I had a weird schedule and it usually worked out that I got a few hours off in the afternoon and that is when I would go and have a visit with her, especially in the summer. We would make a cup of tea and go sit on the picnic table in the back yard and talk. She would have me take her to Zeller's to buy special peanuts for the squirrels and blue jays and we would sit and feed them. She was kinda like Snow White, she would walk outside and say "Ok, come get it" and make a little clicking noise, and I could hardly believe my own eyes, but they squirrels and blue jays came in droves to get fed. And they would even sit on the table beside her. If one of them took a peanut from the other, my Nana would give them hell.

I used to take my Nana for lunch and it was so much fun. She would get all dressed up with a velvet skirt, sparkly blouse, her lipstick and do her hair, even if we were just going to Swiss Chalet.

I miss her more than I can ever put into words. I wish that I had more time to spend with her, but I am thankful for the time that I did get. I hope to meet her again one day, but that is something I won't know until it is my turn.

I miss you Old Bird!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment